Is the Rottweiler the Right Dog for You?
Do's and Don't for Puppies
Facts about Rottweilers
If you are going to have a dog, first have a good dog; second, train it to be useful. It takes a little trouble to train a dog, maybe, but you will find that it more than pays in the end. It will give you a broader sympathy with the animal world, and that includes your fellow man.
- Obedience is NOT an option with a Rottweiler; it is a MUST!
- Expect to pay at least five hundred dollars for a registered Rottweiler pup.
- Be certain that a Rottweiler is the right dog for you before you bring one home.
More than half the Rottweilers that are abandoned or placed in shelters are put to sleep - and experts say that irresponsibility on the part of the owners is largely to blame.
- Good communication between a Rottweiler and its owner requires more than a heavy hand. it is a commmitment based on sensitivity, patience, and time.
- Statistics show that your dog is most likely to display aggression (or even attack) if he is young, male, and unneutered. Animal care organizaitons urge dog owners to neuter their pets.
- Breeders advise that you hold your Rottweiler puppy in your arms on his back--and cuddle-- as long as he remains small enough to handle.
- Many dogs dislike being rolled over onto their backs because it is a sign of submission,
and Rottweilers tend to be particularly resentful of this. You should train your puppy to
put up with it. If the veterinarian needs to examine your dog's stomach, it will be much
less stressful to both dog and human.
- Puppies are usually able to stand by two weeks of age. They walk just one week later.
- Rottweilers generally live about ten years, but many reach the ripe old canine age of fourteen.
- Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.
- When a dog lies on his back with his feet extended upward, he is demonstrating
complete confidence in the safety of his surroundings.
- It's important to play with your Rottweiler puppy. . .but it's even more important that you win. Never let a
Rottweiler think he can get the best of his owner. You must always remain the "alpha dog" in order to
maintain control of your favorite pooch.
- Rottweilers trained as therapy dogs learn to keep their paws off the patient's bed and never to place any weight on or against a person who is ill. Rottweilers bring warmth and cheer - but they will never knock down a weak individual while delivering it.
- The first Rottweilers were brought to the United States shortly after the turn of the twentieth century.
- If your older dog is stiff from overexerting himself, you can give him aspirin. The dose is 5 mg of
aspirin for each pound he weight.
- Rottweilers and lazy dog owners do not mix. Your Rottweiler needs strenuous activity each and every day. If you're looking for a dog that would rather sleep the day away than take a long walk, don't even think of
choosing a Rottweiler.
- Keep your pooch's water cool on a hot day by periodically placing cubes of ice in it.
- Your Rottweiler needs mental stimulation and he loves to feel needed. To keep our Rottweiler in peak
shape, give him a job (or several) to do every day.
- Male dogs are typically more active, more aggressive, and more likely to wander away from home than
- Showing requirements are very specific: Rust-colored markings must cover 10% or less of his body
and they must be correctly placed on his chest, legs and face.
- The man grinning, the dog wagging his tail --two expressions that mean the same thing.
- Intelligent dogs rarely want to please people whom they do not respect.
- Dogs like to obey. It give them security.
- Dogs rarely chew food - they simply swallow.
- Understanding your dog and know how to control him, develop his potentials,
and resolve behavior problems, emotional conflicts, and frustrations are
no less essential than love and respect.
- Because they are instinctively "programmed" to defend their turf, dogs will often exhibit
aggressive behavior if a stranger--or sometimes even a friend--approaches the house.
- Puppies are especially vulnerable to three infectious diseases: distemper, leptospirosis, and
infectious hepatitis. Be sure your puppy shots are up to date.
- Rottweilers, including puppies, love to swim. But never throw your dog in over his head.
Rather, start off in shallow water and coax him to come to you.
- A dog that raises his paw to shake without being asked is exhibiting insecurity.
- Your rottweiler will take up to three years to fully develop his canine personality and reach his adult size.
- Dogs that feel like an important part of a human family will guard and protect the family children
with the same fearlessness and vigilance displayed by a mother wolf protecting her pups.
- Gently discourage your Rottweiler from "mouthing" that is, holding a part of your body (your hand or
arm, for example) in his mouth without applying any pressure. THis is an inborn (and essentially
harmless) tendency, but trainers advise owners to break the habit - - just to be on the safe side.
- If your dog scratches too much, it might indicate a flea or a skin problem.
But a little scratching is healthy. It stimulates the oil glands of his skin.
- Female Rottweilers are generally easier to train and more mellow than males.
For those reasons, experts encourage first-time Rottweiler owners to choose a bitch.
- ...in a healthy dog-owner relationship, praise is virtually an automatic reaction, an attitude toward the dog,
a way of living with the dog. The most common mistake is to consider praise simply a reward.
- Can Rottweilers be pack animals? The answer is yes. Rottweilers can carry heavy saddlebags for long
hours and many miles with no sign of fatigue. Dedicated hikers and campers often bring their best friend
along for fun on their camping trips . . . and get a first-class pack dog in the bargain!
- Spend more time training the owner than the dog. Dogs learn quickly when they know what you want
and are firm about it.
- A dog has the ability to "close off" his inner ear in order to pay particular attention to a specific sound.
- Rottweilers are know for the variety of sounds they make. In addition to barking, howling, growling, and whining, Rottweilers have been know to "pur" from deep withing their chest when they are particularly content.
- Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job.
- Canine researchers suspect that the roots fo the modern day Rottweiler can be traced as far back as the first century. Many believe Rottweilers are descended from the cattle-herding mastiffs that crossed the Alps into northern Europe with the Roman soldiers.
- Shorthaired dogs are particularly suseptible to frostbite. Always be sure your pet is warm enough in cold weather.
- You can take the dog out of the herd, but you can't take ther herder out of the dog.
- Barking dogs don't bite, but they themselves don't know it.
- Knowing how to use your voice so it makes sense to your dog, using words in a way the dog can understand, correcting him without creating fear, praising him properly, and doing it all at the proper time are critical skills to develop if your dog is to learn from you.
- Don't let your Rottweiler push you around . . . but don't be surprised if he tries. If your Rottweiler bumps or pushes you, anyone else, or even other animals, it's because he's following his inborn herding instinct. Gently discourage the behavior, but don't mistake it for aggression.
- I would recommend those persons who are inclined to stagnate, whose blood
is beginning to thicken sluggishly in their veins, to try keeping four dogs, two of
which are puppies.
- Dogs are notoriously jealous. Be sure to monitor your pooch in a situation that
might tempt him to express this unpleasant trait.
- Such fidelity of dogs in protecting what is committed to their charge,such affectionate attachment to their
masters, such jealousy of strangers, such incredible acuteness of nose in following a track, such keenness
in hunting - what else do they evince but that these animals are created for the use of man.
- The poor dog, in life that firmest friend, The first to welcome, foremost to defend, Whose honest heart is
still his master's own, Who labors, fights, lives, breathes, for him alone, Unhonored falls, unnoticed all his
worth, Denied in heaven the soul he held on earth. While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven, And claims
himself a sole exclusive heaven.
- A dog lives in the moment and always hopes for the best.
- A courageous Rottweiler name Jake from Midland, Michigan, saved his master's drowning tow-year-old son by swimming to the rescue and dragging him safely to shore.
- If dogs could talk, perhaps we would find it as hard to get along with them as we do with people.
- When a dog wants to pay attention to (or isolate) a particular sound, he tilts his head in that direction and shifts his ear position. Locating the source of the sound takes less than a tenth of a second.
- If your dog stares you down, you may have an aggression problem on your hadns. Staring down is always accompanied by other body postures, such as stiff legs, an erect stance, and ears cocked forward.
- Spend more time training the owner than the dog. Dogs learn quickly when they
know what you want and are firm about it.
- Trainers suggest that you avoid feeding your puppy canned dog foods while you're trying
to house-train him. Canned foods contain more water than kibble . . . and therefore lead
to more accidents.
- Want to know how to train a dog in one sentence? It's simple. Don't give commands
you can't enforce.
- A dog has the ability to "close off" his inner ear in order to pay particular attention to a specific sound.
- Children growing up with pets they love and care for seem to turn out to be good parents and perhaps
more selfless mates.
- It is fatal to let any dog know that he is funny, for he immediately loses his head and starts hamming it up.
- Why, that dog is practically a Phi Beta Kappa, She can sit up and beg,
and she can give her paw--I don't say she will but she can.
Intelligent dogs rarely want to please people whom they do not respect.
- There is no doubt that every healthy, normal boy should own a dog at some time in his life,
preferably between the ages of forty-five and fifty.
- Puppies are nature's remedy for feeling unloved . . . plus numerous other ailments of life.
- There was a slight advantage in being one of the family, for he didn't bite family as often as he bit
strangers. Still, in the years we had him, he bit everyone but Mother, and he made a pass at her
once but missed.
- The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.
- A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- The best thing about a man is his dog.
- Your can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're
right! I never would have thought of that.
- There is only one smartest dog in the world, and every boy has it.
- A dog is a smile and a wagging tail. What is in between doesn't matter much.
- The more I see of men, the better I like dogs.
- No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as a dog does.
- A good dog deserves a good bone.
- The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
- First he made a man, then a woman, and finally a dog to keep them company.
- Animals are such agreeable friends -- they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms.
- The reason a dog has so many friends its that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
- No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich.
- Don't make the mistake of treating your dogs like humans, or they'll treat you like dogs.
- Being patted is what it is all about.
- Buy a pup and your money will buy love unflinching.
- Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country
as Wall Street and the railroads.
- If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you,
but there may be something wrong with your life.
- Dogs bark boldly at their own master's door.
- When a man's best friend is his dog, that dog has a problem.
- When a man's dog turns against him it is time for his wife to pack her truck and go home to mamma.
- The best way to get a puppy is to beg for a baby brother - and they'll settle for a puppy every time.
- The dog is a saint. He is straightforward and honest by nature. he know by instinct when he is not
wanted; lies quite still for hours when his king is hard at work. But when his king is sad and worried he
creeps up and lays his head on his lap. "Don't worry. never mind if they all abandon you. Let us go
for a walk and forget all about it.
A-woman.com Kathi's Home Page